Thursday, January 15, 2009

Sam Bradford and a few others decide to come back to Oklahoma


Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford announced Wednesday that he will return to college for another season.

The Heisman Trophy winner's announcement came at the same time that two other key offensive teammates similarly announced they will be coming back. Tackle Trent Williams and tight end
Jermaine Gresham will return. Oklahoma defensive tackle Gerald McCoy announced he would return for next season earlier this week.

Bradford had been projected as a first-round draft choice and among the first quarterbacks selected in the draft. But the chance to return and lead Oklahoma to its first national championship since 2000 and direct the Sooners to an unprecedented fourth straight Big 12 title lured him back.

"After looking at all the information and the opportunities, I feel that it's in the best interest for me to come back," Bradford said.


"I've dreamed about playing at Oklahoma since I was little," Bradford said. "My three years here have been probably three of the best years of my life. ... I feel there's no need to cut this experience short."


Bradford led the nation with 50 touchdown passes and in pass efficiency. He ranked third with 4,720 passing yards. His 86 touchdown passes is by far the NCAA's record for players after two seasons.


The announcement came six days after the Sooners lost 24-14 to Florida in the FedEx BCS Championship Game in Miami. It was the Sooners' fifth straight BCS bowl game loss and third consecutive loss in a championship game.


"I did go back and forth several times and I really didn't put much thought into it before the national championship game," Bradford said. "So there's a lot to comprehend in a short period of time. But I feel like this is where my heart is and where I want to be."

Bradford's decision marks the fourth time in the past six seasons that a Heisman Trophy winner has elected to return for another college season after claiming college football's most prestigious individual honor.


http://payneinsider.com/

No comments: